Allegheny City, now Pittsburgh's North Side, was a separate city from 1840 to 1907. Allegheny City was annexed by the City of Pittsburgh in 1907.
Allegheny City was home to many people of renown: General Robinson, Mary Cassatt, Martha Graham, Mary Roberts Rinehart, Henry Phipps, H.J. Heinz, Andrew Carnegie, Henry O Tanner, Gertrude Stein, Colonel James Anderson, William Thaw, Jr., Lois Weber, Thomas Meighan, William Powell and William Penn Snyder.
Allegheny City landmarks included The Market House, Exposition Park, The Byers Lyons House, Carnegie Library of Allegheny City, as well as Calvary Methodist Church, St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Allegheny Unitarian Universalist, St. Anthony's Chapel (home of the largest collection of saint's relics outside of the Vatican) and many other notable houses of worship.
Allegheny is incorporated as a third-class city with a population of 10,989.